Editor Hilary Dyer walks through some quick and easy tips for making jerky at home. Follow these simple steps to have your whole family making homemade deer jerky in no time.
What you’ll need
- 1 lb of lean ground meat (venison, duck, goose, etc)
- 1/4 cup of very cold water
- seasoning (we recommend Hi Mountain Seasoning)
- Jerky gun
- Dehydrator (or smoker or oven and rack)
- Place ground venison into a bowl and pour cold water over it
- Sprinkle seasoning over the meat and mix well with hands
- Refrigerate marinated venison for 24 hours
- Stuff cured meat into the jerky gun and then disperse meat out slowly to form thin strips of jerky
- If using a dehydrator, be sure to rotate the trays every so often (bottom to top and so on)
- Keep in the dehydrator for approximately 10-11 hours
- Dry strips should bend and tear without being brittle
Homemade deer jerky should be stored in an air-sealed container and kept refrigerated or frozen.
Looking for more great recipes? Check out How to Make Your Own Venison Breakfast Sausage.
More Waterfowl, Venison and Wild Game Recipes
For more recipes about venison and other wild game, visit our Grand View Wild Eats page here and give them a try.