SOUTHOLD, N.Y. (AP) — A plan to have federal sharpshooters kill up to 1,000 deer on the northeastern tip of Long Island is moving forward after opponents lost a court fight.
Southold Town Supervisor Scott Russell says program had been expected to start this month but will be delayed a few weeks.
Newsday reports that opponents seeking to stop the cull lost a court fight on Wednesday. A judge rejected arguments that Southold had not followed proper procedures.
Russell has said the deer are overrunning the town and causing accidents, health hazards and are damaging valuable crops.
The program is a Long Island Farm Bureau and U.S. Agriculture Department initiative. A Farm Bureau official did not return a call for comment.
The deer meat will be given to food banks.